|Monday 17 April – Easter Monday Bank Holiday||11:00 – 16:00 inclusive|
|Monday 29 May – Late May Bank Holiday||11:00 – 16:00 inclusive|
|Saturday 17 June – Waterloo Weekend**||11;00 – 16:00 inclusive|
|Sunday 9 July||12:00 – 16:00 inclusive|
|Saturday 19 August||11:00 – 16:00 inclusive|
|Sunday 11 September – Heritage Open Day||12:00 – 16:00 inclusive|
** Watch the Press for details – or our website www.friendsoflordhillscolumn.co.uk
There are 172 stairs so three things are essential:
- All applicants must be confident that they are fit enough to climb a spiral staircase of 172 stairs, enjoy the view from the top and descend again in 29 minutes.
- All applicants must know that they have a head for heights.
- Children under the age of 10 must be very carefully supervised bearing in mind that each climb can last only 29 minutes maximum. Those with children must make up their own minds if they think that their children are old enough and strong enough to manage this quite steep climb. It is exciting, BUT for a child a high spiral staircase can seem endless! Sturdy 5-year olds manage the climb, and very small children are welcome if carried.
Pre-booking is essential. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 01743 244668
A Waiting List will be opened as required in case of cancellations at a later date. If you are allocated a place and then have to cancel or postpone your visit, PLEASE notify as above to free the place for someone else.
All those with booked places are asked to arrive 15 minutes before the time of their climb.
WHAT TO DO NOW THAT THESE DETAILS HAVE BEEN NOTED – Please apply stating:
- Which day you would like to make the climb
- Your preferred time – please offer alternative times if possible
- How many places you want
- Remember to arrive 15 minutes before the stated half hour slot of your choice
Entry £5, payable on the day, conferring automatic Life Membership of the Friends of Lord Hill’s Column. A card is given entitling the holder to free climbs for life, on open days. Students and children: Free.
The support of the Friends will help Shropshire Council when making applications for grants to replicate the statue of Lord Hill, now in urgent need of replacement to save future maintenance costs. The Column is a major element in the tourist attractions of Shropshire.